danna (curious tangles) - View my most interesting photos on Flickriver

Thursday, February 10, 2011

It's spring no matter what the calendar says.



When the spring bulbs start pushing their way out of the ground it's spring to me.  I'm quite excited about these bulbs since they are new this year.  I was on a walk through a local park early last summer and came across a whole mound of bulbs they had ripped out of the ground and piled up to rot in the forest. I guess when you are maintaining a city park it's not worth saving spring bulbs, but to someone like me the notion of throwing plants away just makes me crazy.  So I came back with a friend and we carried buckets and bags of them out of there. I set them aside for a few months, trying to figure out what to do with them.
Since they were all mixed, I didn't know what they would be or what colors so I had the hardest time deciding where to plant them. In the end I just lay them in this little garden bed as close as I could to see what would come up in the spring. I still had some left to plant around in the yard and in the tub shown, I tried to pick out all the same ones, and it looks like they are tulips maybe.

Whenever you plant a bulb in the ground there's that unsure feeling because you never know what's going on under there, but when that first green tip pokes up, just a great feeling. Now we just have to wait and see how many actually bloom and what colors they are.

In the meantime I've been crocheting owl bodies like crazy. I got some yarn and I just couldn't stop, must have done 20 in the last two days, staying up way too late and neglecting everything else I should be doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...